Indigenous Ways of Knowing
Jan 19 – Dec 14, 2022
Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 3:00PM
We are excited to launch a new program focusing on local Indigenous histories, art practices and storytelling that is open to all National accessArts artists. Participating artists will meet weekly, with the option for in-person and online, for one year with a group of 8-10 artists and 2 NaAC facilitators. We will be inviting guest Elders and Indigenous artists to our meetings to share stories, ask questions and help us learn how we can respect the cultural practices of Indigenous people. An important part of this project is figuring out how we can share what we learn with the rest of our community. The group will help design and share their ideas with a local artist to create a book that will be printed at the end of the project.
The National accessArts Centre is looking for applications from artists who wish to take part in a collaborative, experimental and creative project filled with opportunities to meet with Indigenous Elders, Knowledge Keepers and contemporary Indigenous Artists.
What Does the Project Involve?
- Attending in-person/online zoom meetings each Wednesday from 1pm – 3pm from Jan 19 to Dec 14, 2022
- Listening to stories from invited guests and taking part in group discussions
- Finding ways to share what we learn throughout the year with the rest of our artist community
Who is the Project Right For?
- Artists who are attending NaAC Visual Arts programming and can come to the majority of the weekly meetings
- Artists who would like to learn about Indigenous histories and art-making practices
- Artists who want to share what it’s like to be an artist in Calgary
Is there a cost to participate?
There is no cost to participate and materials will be provided. You can keep attending any other weekly Zoom and/or Studio Sessions with NaAC.
How Can I Apply?
There are a couple of ways you can apply to be part of this project. We’re here to help, so give us a call if you need it. Here are 3 ways you can answer the questions on the application form:
- You can write out our answers and send them to Richelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can make a zoom meeting or phone call with any of the facilitators to help you write your application
- You can make a meeting with Richelle to apply over the phone or Zoom
What Happens After I Apply?
- Send your application by email to email@example.com before the deadline on Jan 2, 2022. You can also send your application to the National accessArts Centre by mail to: 8038 Fairmount Dr. SE, Calgary, AB, T2H 0Y1
- Applications will be reviewed by a neutral jury on Jan 3, 2022, and 8-10 artists will be selected to participate.
- We will let you know by Jan 5, 2022, if you have been chosen to partake in the Ways of Knowing Project.
- If there are lots of applications, we’ll make sure to find more opportunities like this.