Peek behind the velvet curtain and learn to tell your great stories through Opera! Apply your art practice to the wonderful world of Opera.
In partnership with Calgary Opera, Act One is a five-month workshop series to introduce NaAC artists to the foundations of opera. Participating artists will have the chance to gain first-hand experience with various elements of opera through guided activities, projects, and group discussions.
Act One is open to all registered NaAC Artists and runs between February 2022 and June 2022. The months are divided into three separate opera focuses, and each section will build on the learnings from the previous stage. Artists will learn about opera story development, performance, production, and expression.
Each workshop will be split between daily activities, watching videos from famous operas, and sharing in group discussions. Artists can also expect to try their hand at creative elements like story and character development, costume and stage design, and more! Workshops will also include body movement exercises for opera and theatre communication. Lastly, participants will be asked to find their voice (by singing, humming, or speaking) through introductory vocal exercises! Although participants are encouraged to sing, it will not be a requirement.
Anyone interested in the performing arts and dramatic expression is encouraged to register!
- Artists will engage in performance and production-based activities.
- Artists will experiment with story & character development, costume design, stage direction, and set design.
- We’ll watch and discuss recorded operas to dive deeper into the art form.
- All workshop materials will be provided!
- Workshops will be open-minded, friendly, and respectful!